A Kenyan City called Facebook.
I came across some interesting statistics yesterday on the Facebakers web site for Facebook usage in Kenya. The truth is I was startled at how many people in Kenya are on Facebook – they are many more than I initially thought since the number is now approaching 800,000. In fact, you could say that such a number would make Facebook as large as a city in Kenya! Yes, indeed, Facebook has gone undoubtedly mainstream. Below are some of the interesting statistics from Facebakers on Facebook adoption in Kenya for July 2010:
- Number of users on Facebook in Kenya: 759,560
- Number of male users on Facebook in Kenya: 461,440
- Number of female users on Facebook in Kenya: 285,800
- Penetration of Facebook in Kenya to population: 1.97%
- Penetration of Facebook in Kenya to online population: 22.61%
User Growth for Facebook in Kenya.
User Age Distribution for Facebook in Kenya.
Male/Female Usage Ration for Facebook in Kenya.
Male/Female Usage Growth for Facebook in Kenya.
Age Growth for Facebook in Kenya.
In all of the above, I found the following to be interesting trends:
- That senior Kenyans in the 65+ age bracket are the fastest growing segment on Facebook. A very telling trend that Facebook has really gone mainstream.
- The total number of users in Kenya also implies that if Kenya has around 4 million internet users in total then the penetration is that almost 25% of all internet users in Kenya are on Facebook.
- Male users of Facebook are almost double in number compared to Female users.
- The 18-24 and 24-34 age brackets dominate Facebook usage in Kenya currently with a combined percentage of 77%.